Africa Energy Outlook: A Focus on Energy Prospects in Sub-Saharan Africa
Sub-Saharan Africa’ s energy sector can be improved to unlock a better life for its citizens. This report describes one of the most poorly understood parts of the global energy system, offers an authoritative study of its future prospects – broken down by fuel, sector and sub-region – and shows how investment in the sub-Saharan energy sector can stimulate rapid economic and social development across the region.
- Explores how quickly modern energy might be brought to the huge population currently deprived of it.
- Highlights key actions in the energy sector that can unleash more rapid economic and social development in sub-Saharan Africa.
- Evaluates the role of renewables in the region’s energy future, and how important mini- and off-grid solutions can be in providing access to electricity.
- Examines how existing and emerging oil and gas producers can maximise the value of their resources for economic development.
- Identifies the benefits that greater regional integration of the energy sector can bring, as well as mapping the future role of sub-Saharan Africa in the global energy system.
- Energy, Economics, Natural Resources
- Africa, Sub-Saharan Africa
- Year Published:
- International Energy Agency (IEA)